The Cavaliers didn't drop a set on the day to post the shutout wins. In singles, Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.), Li Xi (Kunming, China), Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.), Maria Fuccillo (Rockville, Md.) and Molly O'Koniewski (Hilton Head Island, S.C.) each posted a pair of singles wins on the day. Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton. Fla.) added a win against the Mountaineers and Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) had a win against the Hokies.
The doubles pairs of Tomljanovic/Vierra and Hardenbergh/Fuccillo both had wins in the two matches. Fraser teamed with O'Koniewski for a doubles win against West Virginia and with Xi for a win against Virginia Tech.
Virginia will return to action on Sunday as it visits Boston College. Match time in Chestnut Hill is 10 a.m. The Cavaliers open their home schedule on Feb. 10 as play begins at the 2012 ITA National Team Indoor Championships at the Boar's Head Sports Club.
#9 VIRGINIA 7, WEST VIRGINIA 0
1. Vierra/Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Mathis/Chupa (WVU) 8-1
2. Fuccillo/Hardenbergh (UVa) def. Chahal/Cardenas (WVU) 8-2
3. Fraser/O'Koniewski (UVa) def. Wickline/Hromada (WVU) 8-4
1. Li Xi (UVa) def. Emily Mathis (WVU) 6-2, 6-1
2. #30 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. Mary Chupa (WVU), 6-1, 6-2
3. #85 Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Ikttesh Chahal (WVU), 6-4, 6-3
4. #75 Erin Vierra (UVa) def. Veronica Cardenas (WVU), 6-4, 6-3
5. #76 Maria Fuccillo (UVa) def. Catie Wickline (WVU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Molly O'Koniewski (UVa) def. Madison Hromada (WVU), 6-2, 6-0
#9 VIRGINIA 7, #60 VIRGINIA TECH 0
1. Fraser/Xi (UVa) def. Rauscher/Blakely (VT) 8-0
2. Tomljanovic/Vierra (UVa) def. Betts/Kahoun (VT) 8-3
3. Fuccillo/Hardenbergh (UVa) def. Lauten/Martinez-Marcos (VT) 8-4
1. #29 Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Martha Blakely (VT) 6-3, 6-2
2. #30 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT) 6-2, 6-1
3. Li Xi (UVa) def. Shannon Betts (VT) 6-2, 6-4
4. #75 Erin Vierra (UVa) def. Carol Kahoun (VT) 6-0, 6-3
5. #76 Maria Fuccillo (UVa) def. Emily Lauten (VT) 6-2, 6-3
6. Molly O'Koniewski (UVa) def. Katie Blow (VT) 6-0, 6-1
Lynch Makes Timely Return to MoundBaseball5/28/16In his first appearance since April 13, freshman Daniel Lynch retired all four batters he faced Friday in Virginia's ACC tournament loss to Wake Forest.Transfers Eager to Help Lift ProgramFootball5/26/16UVA's football team added three transfers this spring: quarterback Kurt Benkert, offensive guard Jared Cohen and defensive end Jack Powers.Cavaliers' Reign Atop NCAA ContinuesMen's Tennis5/25/16With a 4-1 win over Oklahoma on Tuesday night, top-seeded Virginia captured its second straight NCAA men's title and third in four seasons.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Collins Advances To NCAA Singles Championships Finals
W. Tennis | 5/29/2016
Virginia senior Danielle Collins defeated Pepperdine's Luisa Stefani on Sunday to advance to the ...
Collins Advances To NCAA Singles Semifinals
W. Tennis | 5/28/2016
Virginia senior Danielle Collins advanced to the semifinals of the NCAA Women's Tennis Singles...
Collins Advances To NCAA Singles Quarterfinals
W. Tennis | 5/27/2016
Virginia senior Danielle Collins advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Women's Tennis Singles...
Cavaliers Advance To NCAA Singles/Doubles Sweet 16
W. Tennis | 5/26/2016
Virginia women's tennis players continued to advance at the NCAA Women's Tennis Singles and...
Collins, Elbaba Advance At NCAA Singles Championship
W. Tennis | 5/25/2016
Virginia seniors Danielle Collins and Julia Elbaba both picked up opening-round wins on Wednesday...
Virginia Begins NCAA Tournament Individual Play Wednesday
W. Tennis | 5/24/2016
Members of the Virginia women's tennis team begin play in the NCAA Singles and Doubles...
Collins, Elbaba Named National ITA Award Winners
W. Tennis | 05/24/2016
Virginia women's tennis seniors Danielle Collins and Julia Elbaba were named national ITA Award...
No. 14 Virginia Falls To No. 6 Vanderbilt In NCAA Quarterfinals
W. Tennis | 05/21/2016
No. 14 seed Virginia's season ended Saturday with the program's second-ever appearance in the...
- Online Stores