The Virginia women's tennis team concluded play at the 2011 ITA National Team Indoor Championships with a 4-0 win over No. 20 Northwestern Sunday in a consolation match at the Boar's Head Sports Club. The No. 23 Cavaliers, the lowest ranked team in the field, went 2-1 in the event, after topping No. 3 Baylor on Friday and being edged 4-2 by No. 6 Duke 4-2 on Saturday.
"I am just so proud of this team," said Virginia head coach Mark Guilbeau. "One of the things I have tried to express to this team is that this is when it is fun to be a college tennis player. I looked into their eyes during this match and saw a level of fun, excitement and enjoyment that I have always wanted for them. We need to keep working hard and building upon this weekend."
Virginia (8-1) took the early 1-0 lead in the match by winning the doubles point, which it did in all three matches of the tournament. Maria Fuccillo (Rockville, Md.) and Rashmi Teltumbde (Mumbai, India) won 8-5 at the No. 3 spot over Elena Chernyakova and Kate Turny to give UVa the early edge. After Northwestern had drawn even with a win at No. 1, the Cavalier team of Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) topped Maria Mosolova and Belinda Niu 8-6 at No. 2 to give the Cavaliers the opening point.
In singles, the Cavaliers quickly made the score 2-0 as Fuccillo cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 5 over Nida Hamilton. Caryssa Peretz (Cherry Hill, N.J.) added a 6-0, 7-5 win at No. 6 over Linda Abu Mushrefova to make the score 3-0. Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) clinched the win with her 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 4 over Stacey Lee.
The ITA National Team Indoor Championships will conclude Monday at the Boar's Head Sports Club with the championship final. No. 1 Stanford and No. 2 Florida will play for the title, beginning at 11 a.m. Admission is free.
"I want to thank everyone at the Boar's Head, UVa, and the ITA that allowed us to make this event happen," said Guilbeau. "For us to be able to host this event for the first time was a great experience for our team."
The Cavaliers return to action next week as they travel to Montgomery, Ala., for the 2011 Blue/Gray Tennis Classic.
#23 Virginia 4, #20 Northwestern 0
1. #15 Mushrefova/Hamilton (NW) def. #10 Fraser/Tomljanovic (UVa) 8-6
2. #67 Hardenbergh/Vierra (UVa) def. #58 Mosolova/Niu (NW) 8-6
3. #51 Fuccillo/Teltumbde (UVa) def. Chernyakova/Turny (NW) 8-5
1. #29 Maria Mosolova (NW) led #41 Emily Fraser (UVa) 6-4, 3-4 DNF
2. #67 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) vs. #100 Belinda Niu (NW) 3-6, 6-0, 0-0 DNF
3. #54 Erin Vierra (UVa) led #98 Kate Turvy (NW) 6-2, 5-4 DNF
4. Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Stacey Lee (NW) 6-2, 6-3
5. Maria Fuccillo (UVa) def. Nida Hamilton (NW) 6-0, 6-1
6. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) def. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NW) 6-0, 7-5
Order of Finish: