COLLEGE PARK, Md.
The No. 29 Virginia women’s tennis team opened up ACC play Friday with a 6-1 victory over Maryland at the Tennis Center of College Park. The Cavaliers improve to 7-2 overall and 1-0 in the ACC with the victory.
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning the doubles point for a 1-0 lead. Neela Vaez (Perrysburg, Ohio) and Amanda Rales (Bethesda, Md,) remained unbeaten on the season as they topped Eleanor Peters and Jordan Hansbrough 8-5 at No. 2 doubles. The Terrapins drew even as Karin Lundmark and Oksana Krutiyenko defeated Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Claire Bartlett (Chattanooga, Tenn.) 8-6 at No. 3 doubles. Virginia clinched the opening point as Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) and Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) downed Lisa Miller and Maggie MacKeever 9-7 at the No. 1 position.
In singles, the Cavaliers posted a strong performance, winning the first four matches off the courts in straight sets. Stevens topped MacKeever 6-0, 6-1 at No. 3 singles to make the score 2-0. Bartlett’s 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 5 over Hansbrough made the score 3-0. Vaez clinched the dual match with her 6-1, 6-2 win over Krutiyenko at the No. 6 position. Rales downed Miller 6-2, 6-1 at No. 4 singles and Fraser topped Peters in a superbreaker at No. 1 singles to make the score 6-0 before the Terrapins won the final match on the courts.
“Give Maryland a lot of credit for playing very well in doubles. They made us fight hard to earn that point,” said Virginia head coach Mark Guilbeau. “I was very impressed with our performance in singles. We played offensive-minded tennis, but under control. This team is heading a positive direction and that is exciting to see.”
Virginia will host Boston College in its ACC home opener on Sunday morning. Match time at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club is 9:30 a.m. No. 29 Virginia 6, Maryland 1
1. #46 Fraser/Stevens (UVa) def. Miller/MacKeever (Md) 9-7
2. Rales/Vaez (UVa) def. Peters/Hansbrough (Md) 8-5
3. Lundmark/Krutiyenko (Md) def. Hardenbergh/Bartlett (UVa) 8-6
1. Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Eleanor Peters (Md) 6-1, 6-7(3), 12-10
2. Karin Lundmark (Md) def. Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) 7-6(4), 6-0
3. #80 Jennifer Stevens (UVa) def. Maggie MacKeever (Md) 6-0, 6-1
4. Amanda Rales (UVa) def. Lisa Miller (Md) 6-2, 6-1
5. Claire Bartlett (UVa) def. Jordan Hansbrough (Md) 6-1, 6-0
6. Neela Vaez (UVa) def. Oksana Krutiyenko (Md) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish