The No. 20 Virginia women’s tennis team recorded its fifth consecutive win, defeating No. 48 William & Mary 6-1 Tuesday at the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center. The Cavaliers improve to 9-2 overall with the victory.
In doubles play, the Cavaliers swept all three matches for the first point of the match. No. 51 Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) and Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) topped No. 46 Katarina Zoricic and Ragini Acharya 8-3 at the No. 1 position. No. 59 Neela Vaez (Perrysburg, Ohio) and Amanda Rales (Bethesda, Md.) downed Carmen Pop and Klaudyna Kasztelaniec 8-5 at No. 2 doubles. Claire Bartlett (Chattanooga, Tenn.) and Maggie Yahner (Las Vegas, Nev.) blanked Barbara Zidek and Maria Morrissey 8-0 at No. 3 doubles.
In singles, the Cavaliers won five of the six matches. Four of those wins came in straight sets. At No. 1, No. 83 Fraser downed No. 103 Zoricic 6-2, 6-2. Rales topped Pop 6-4, 7-5 at No. 4 singles. Bartlett won at No. 5 singles, 6-3, 6-2 over Zidek. At No. 6 singles, Vaez cruised to 6-0, 6-0 win over Morrissey. Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) added a third-set macth tiebreaker win over Kasztelaniec at No. 3 singles, 6-3, 4-6, 10-5.
“This team has put together a very strong stretch of improvement and match play,” said Virginia head coach Mark Guilbeau. “This is as excited and eager this program has been over the past few years and it is great to see. All the credit to the individuals on the team for taking ownership of their games and the work needed to make this progress. They are clearly seeing that the effort and commitment is worth it. A well deserved break is ahead and we look forward to some positive practices next week as we prepare for a very strong Virginia Tech team and the rest of the season. We intend to keep it up and get better as we go.”
Virginia will return to action on March 15 as it hosts Virginia Tech. No. 20 Virginia 6, No. 48 William & Mary 1
1. #51 Stevens/Fraser (UVa) def. #46 Zoricic/Acharya (W&M) 8-3
2. #59 Vaez/Rales (UVa) def. Pop/Kasztelaniec (W&M) 8-5
3. Bartlett/Yahner (UVa) def. Zidek/Morrissey (W&M) 8-0
1. #83 Emily Fraser (UVa) def. #103 Katarina Zoricic (W&M) 6-2, 6-2
2. #92 Ragini Acharya (W&M) def. #72 Jennifer Stevens (UVa) 6-1, 6-3
3. Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. Klaudyna Kasztelaniec (W&M) 6-3, 4-6, 10-5
4. Amanda Rales (UVa) def. Carmen Pop (W&M) 6-4, 7-5
5. Claire Bartlett (UVa) def. Barbara Zidek (W&M) 6-3, 6-2
6. Neela Vaez (UVa) def. Maria Morrissey (W&M) 6-0, 6-0