The Virginia women’s tennis team defeated its highest ranked opponent of the season with a 7-0 victory over No. 52 NC State Sunday afternoon at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center. With the victory, the Cavaliers improve to 6-5 overall and 2-1 in the ACC.
Virginia took the 1-0 lead in the match by winning the doubles point. Lindsey Pereira (Arlington, Texas) and Maggie Yahner (Las Vegas, Nev.) scored an 8-3 win over Lenka Hojckova and Julia Roach at No. 2 doubles. After the Wolfpack won at No. 1 doubles to draw even, Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) and Hampton Williams (Raleigh, N.C.) clinched the opening point for the Cavaliers with their 9-7 win over Kristen Bleakley and Catherine Grotz at No. 3 doubles.
In singles, Virginia opened strong by winning five of the six first sets. In four of those matches, the Cavaliers recorded to straight set wins to clinch the dual match. At No. 4 singles, Pereira cruised to a 6-2, 6-2 win over Roach. Yahner defeated Berkeley Brock 6-4, 6-3 at No. 3 singles. Williams clinched the victory with her 6-4, 6-2 win over Grotz at No. 6 singles. At No. 5 singles, Lara Alexander (London, England) defeated Bleakley 6-2, 6-3. Stevens posted a win at No. 2 singles, topping Hojckova 4-6, 6-1, 6-3. The match at No. 1 singles was between a pair of ranked players where No. 124 Amanda Rales (Bethesda, Md.) topped No. 112 Daria Petrovic 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 to complete the Virginia sweep.
The Cavaliers continue their roadtrip on Friday as they visit No. 4 Baylor. No. 66 Virginia 7, No. 52 NC State 0
1. Brock/Petrovic (NCSU) def. Rales/Alexander (UVa) 8-4
2. Yahner/Pereira (UVa) def. Hojckova/Roach (NCSU) 8-3
3. Stevens/Williams (UVa) def. #55 Bleakley/Grotz (NCSU) 9-7
1. #124 Amanda Rales (UVa) def. #112 Daria Petrovic (NCSU) 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 (6)
2. Jennifer Stevens (UVa) def. Lenka Hojckova (NCSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Maggie Yahner (UVa) def. Berkeley Brock (NCSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Lindsey Pereira (UVa) def. Julia Roach (NCSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Lara Alexander (UVa) def. Kristen Bleakley (NCSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Hampton Williams (UVa) def. Catherine Grotz (NCSU) 6-4, 6-2