CHARLOTTESVILLE The No. 22 Virginia women’s tennis team suffered its fourth loss to a top-25 team in the past two weeks, falling to No. 5 Miami 6-1 Sunday at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar’s Head Sports Club. The loss drops the Cavaliers’ record to 10-6 overall and 3-4 in the ACC.
In doubles play, the Cavaliers got a win at the No. 3 position where Maggie Yahner (Las Vegas, Nev.) and Claire Bartlett (Chattanooga, Tenn.) blanked Gabriela Mehia and Aleesa Waibel 8-0. However, the Hurricanes picked up the wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions to secure the opening point. In singles, Virginia recorded a victory at No. 6 singles, where Karoline Steiro (Oslo, Norway) won in three sets over Claudia Wasilewski. Miami won at the other five positions to post the 6-1 win.
"It was a very rough weekend in terms of results, but a great amount of work was put in to allow for progress ahead," said head coach Mark Guilbeau. "Fortunately we have some very specific tennis skills and strategies to improve that will clearly bring us to a better level. Unfortunately we continue to face a few non-tennis related issues that must be acknowledged and corrected within this team and by key individuals. if these issues remain and are not changed, we will continue to have less than the successful results and level of play we desire. We have great confidence in positive change and in the success it will bring for this team. We look forward to more good work this week and a great weekend of competition ahead."
Virginia returns to action next weekend as they visit Duke and North Carolina.
No. 5 Miami 6, No. 22 Virginia 1
1. #33 Vallverdu/Kissell (UM) def. #48 Fraser/Stevens (UVa) 8-4
2. Cohen/Eichkorn (UM) def. #64 Rales/Vaez (UVa) 8-2
3. Bartlett/Yahner (UVa) def. Mejia/Waibel (UM) 8-0
1. #6 Julia Cohen (UM) def. #81 Emily Fraser (UVa) 6-0, 6-4
2. #24 Laura Vallverdu (UM) def. #78 Jennifer Stevens (UVa) 6-1, 6-1
3. #40 Bianca Eichkorn (UM) def. Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) 6-4, 6-1
4. #50 Michaela Kissell (UM) def. Amanda Rales (UVa) 3-6, 7-6(1), 10-5
5. Gabriela Mejia (UM) def. Claire Bartlett (UVa) 6-3, 6-3
6. Karoline Steiro (UVa) def. Claudia Wasilewski (UM) 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
Order of Finish: