The No. 13 Virginia women's tennis team concluded its regular season home schedule with a 6-1 loss to No. 24 Clemson Saturday at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Cavaliers (15-5, 6-3 ACC) had its three-match win streak snapped, while the Tigers improved to 12-8 overall, 5-3 in the conference.
"It was a disappointing result, especially for our seniors," said head coach Mark Guilbeau. "We didn't play poorly, but it certainly wasn't out best. Give credit to Clemson, they played well and made things difficult for us. We did some good things at times, but it wasn't consistent enough to result in wins."
Virginia fell behind early as it lost the doubles point. Clemson's Klara Vyskocilova and Monika Kochanova topped Maria Fuccillo (Rockville, Md.) and Caryssa Peretz (Cherry Hill, N.J.) 8-3 at the No. 3 position. At No. 1, Josipa Bek and Keri Wong downed Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) and Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) 8-3 to clinch the opening point for the Tigers. Virginia's Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) and Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) edged Beatrice Gumulya and Romy Kolzer 9-8(5) at No. 2 to conclude doubles play.
Clemson increased its lead to 3-0 with wins at the top two positions as Wong topped Hardenbergh at No. 1 and Vyskocilova downed Fraser at No. 2. Virginia earned its point at No. 6, where Fuccillo defeated Kolzer 7-5, 6-2. Gumulya followed with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Vierra at No. 4 to seal the Tiger victory. Clemson added wins at No. 5 and No. 3 to close out the match, with Nelly Ciolkowski topping Peretz and Bek rallying from down a set to defeat Tomljanovic.
The Cavaliers conclude the regular season next week as they travel south for a pair of matches. Virginia plays at Miami on Friday and Florida State on Sunday.
#24 CLEMSON 6, #13 VIRGINIA 1
1. #17 Bek/Wong (CU) def. #55 Fraser/Hardenbergh (UVa) 8-3
2. #60 Tomljanovic/Vierra (UVa) def. Gumulya/Kolzer (CU) 9-8(5)
3. Kochanova/Vyskocilova (CU) def. Peretz/Fuccillo (UVa) 8-3
1. #55 Keri Wong (CU) def. #43 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) 6-3, 6-4
2. #88 Klara Vyskocilova (CU) #16 Emily Fraser (UVa) 6-2, 6-4
3. Josipa Bek (CU) def. #111 Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. Erin Vierra (UVa) 6-3, 6-3
5. Nelly Ciolkowski (CU) def. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) 7-5, 6-3
6. #122 Maria Fuccillo (UVa) def. Romy Kolzer (CU) 7-5, 6-2
Order of Finish: