CHARLOTTESVILLE – The No. 29 Virginia women’s tennis team concluded its regular season schedule with a 5-2 win over NC State Sunday afternoon at the Snyder Tennis Center. The win improves the Cavaliers’ record to 12-8 overall and 5-6 in the ACC.
In doubles play, the Cavaliers took a 1-0 lead by sweeping all three matches. Neela Vaez (Perrysburg, Ohio) and Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) downed Pender Sessoms and Jackie Ussery 8-2 at No. 3 doubles. Jennifer Stevens (Miami, Fla.) and Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) scored an 8-2 win of their own, downing Lenka Hojckova and Daria Petrovic at No. 1 doubles. Seniors Amanda Rales (Bethesda, Md.) and Maggie Yahner (las Vegas, Nev.), playing in their final home match, completed the doubles sweep with an 8-3 win over Berkeley Brock and Neils Barringer at No. 2 doubles.
In singles, the Cavaliers quickly won three singles matches two secure the dual match win. Yahner topped Sessoms 6-1, 6-0 at No. 5 singles, Vaez defeated Ussery 6-0, 6-2 at No. 6 and Hardenbergh downed Barringer 6-3, 6-0 at No. 4 singles. After the Wolfpack won at No. 1 and No. 2 singles, Rales concluded the match with her 7-5, 7-6 win over Petrovic at No. 3 singles.
"It was an extremely fitting way to end the season and the home careers of two great fourth years," said head coach Mark Guilbeau. "Also it was really nice to see both Maggie and Amanda have undefeated weekends in singles and doubles. The entire group did a great job and continued to play with a strength and determination that is something they can be very proud of. Thanks to all of the fans, family and friends who came out and made the match special and helped provide a great senior day ceremony."
The Cavaliers will travel to Cary, N.C. for next week’s ACC Tournament. Virginia will open play at the tournament on Thursday.
No. 29 Virginia 5, NC State 2
1. #42 Fraser/Stevens (UVa) def. Hojckova/Petrovic (NCSU) 8-2
2. Rales/Yahner (UVa) def. Brock/Barringer (NCSU) 8-3
3. Hardenbergh/Vaez (UVa) def. Sessoms/Ussery (NCSU) 8-2
1. #104 Lenka Hojckova (NCSU) def. #79 Emily Fraser (UVa) 6-1, 7-5
2. #113 Berkeley Brock (NCSU) def. #88 Jennifer Stevens (UVa) 7-5, 4-6, 10-4
3. Amanda Rales (UVa) def. Daria Petrovic (NCSU) 7-5, 7-6(2)
4. Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. Neils Barringer (NCSU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Maggie Yahner (UVa) def. Pender Sessoms (NCSU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Neela Vaez (UVa) def. Jackie Ussery (NCSU) 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish: