"It was another great summer in and around our UVa Women's Tennis program," said head coach Mark Guilbeau. "The entire team put in a lot of good practicing and training during their time here in Charlottesville, as well as while at home. Chili certainly topped our summer efforts off with a great amount of competition on the USTA Pro Circuit. She played at an extremely high level throughout and deserved the success she had. We are excited about all of the work the team put in to prepare for another great season. Coach Porco and I were happy to be very busy with our players on the court throughout. As always, Troy did a great job assisting me in working directly with the players on a daily basis. On top of the great tennis in Charlottesville, I was very fortunate to spend two weeks coaching at the WTA level a events in Sweden and Austria during July. It all adds up to a strong summer with valuable progress and learning. It will be a great year ahead!"
• Went 14-6 in singles, with several wins over top 650 ranked WTA players, and reached a #974 world ranking
• Reached the singles final of the USTA $10,000 Pro Circuit event in Cleveland, while also making the doubles quarterfinals with incoming first-year Molly O'Koniewski
• Won doubles title at the Midlothian Summer Championships
• Won singles title at ITA Summer Circuit event in Chapel Hill • Advanced through qualifying and reached the second round of the main draw of the USTA Pro Circuit event in Bethany Beach, Del.
• Was honored at the Professional Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, R.I., as a USTA Junior National Sportsmanship Award winner.
• Advanced through qualifying and reached the main draw of the USTA Pro Circuit event in Atlanta
• Teamed with her father, Craig, to win the National Grass Court Father-Daughter Doubles Championship in Boston, marking the duo's second title in the past three years
Cavaliers' Reign Atop NCAA Tennis ContinuesMen's Tennis5/25/16With a 4-1 win over Oklahoma on Tuesday night, top-seeded Virginia captured its second straight NCAA men's title and third in four seasons.Mihaljevic's Star Continues to RiseTrack & Field, Cross Country5/24/16In junior Filip Mihaljevic, Virginia's track & field team has one of the nation's elite shot putters and discus throwers.Power Surge Contributing to Cavaliers' SuccessBaseball5/21/16Timely home runs helped No. 8 Virginia win the first two games of its series with ACC rival Virginia Tech at Davenport Field.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Collins, Elbaba Advance At NCAA Singles Championship
W. Tennis | 5/25/2016
Virginia seniors Danielle Collins and Julia Elbaba both picked up opening-round wins on Wednesday...
Virginia Begins NCAA Tournament Individual Play Wednesday
W. Tennis | 5/24/2016
Members of the Virginia women's tennis team begin play in the NCAA Singles and Doubles...
Collins, Elbaba Named National ITA Award Winners
W. Tennis | 5/24/2016
Virginia women's tennis seniors Danielle Collins and Julia Elbaba were named national ITA Award...
No. 14 Virginia Falls To No. 6 Vanderbilt In NCAA Quarterfinals
W. Tennis | 5/21/2016
No. 14 seed Virginia's season ended Saturday with the program's second-ever appearance in the...
No. 14 Virginia Advances With 4-2 Win Over No. 3 North Carolina
W. Tennis | 5/19/2016
The No. 14 seeded Virginia women's tennis team defeated third-seeded North Carolina 4-2 to...
Virginia Faces North Carolina Thursday In NCAA Round of 16
W. Tennis | 5/18/2016
Virginia faces third-seeded North Carolina at 10 a.m. ET on Thursday in the NCAA Women's Tennis...
Jeff White: Sweet Sixteen Awaits Resilient Cavaliers
W. Tennis | 05/15/2016
Virginia has reached the NCAA tourney's round of 16 for the sixth straight year. No. 14 seed UVA ...
Virginia Defeats LSU 4-2 To Advance To NCAA Round of 16
W. Tennis | 05/14/2016
Virginia posted a 4-2 win over LSU on Saturday to advance to the NCAA Tournament Round of 16 for ...
- Online Stores