Numerous Cavalier players spent the summer preparing for next season by playing a wide variety of events. They saw success in Pro Circuit tournaments, regional tournaments and ITA Summer Circuit events.
"It was another great summer in and around our UVa Women's Tennis program," said head coach Mark Guilbeau. "The entire team put in a lot of good practicing and training during their time here in Charlottesville, as well as while at home. Chili certainly topped our summer efforts off with a great amount of competition on the USTA Pro Circuit. She played at an extremely high level throughout and deserved the success she had. We are excited about all of the work the team put in to prepare for another great season. Coach Porco and I were happy to be very busy with our players on the court throughout. As always, Troy did a great job assisting me in working directly with the players on a daily basis. On top of the great tennis in Charlottesville, I was very fortunate to spend two weeks coaching at the WTA level a events in Sweden and Austria during July. It all adds up to a strong summer with valuable progress and learning. It will be a great year ahead!"
• Went 14-6 in singles, with several wins over top 650 ranked WTA players, and reached a #974 world ranking
• Reached the singles final of the USTA $10,000 Pro Circuit event in Cleveland, while also making the doubles quarterfinals with incoming first-year Molly O'Koniewski
• Won doubles title at the Midlothian Summer Championships
• Won singles title at ITA Summer Circuit event in Chapel Hill • Advanced through qualifying and reached the second round of the main draw of the USTA Pro Circuit event in Bethany Beach, Del.
• Was honored at the Professional Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, R.I., as a USTA Junior National Sportsmanship Award winner.
• Advanced through qualifying and reached the main draw of the USTA Pro Circuit event in Atlanta
• Teamed with her father, Craig, to win the National Grass Court Father-Daughter Doubles Championship in Boston, marking the duo's second title in the past three years
Cavalier Football Notebook: UNC WeekFootball10/21/16At 3 p.m. Saturday, UVA (2-4, 1-1) hosts Coastal Division rival North Carolina (5-2, 3-1) in an ACC football game at Scott Stadium.Lucas Playing Key Role in TurnaroundField Hockey10/20/16Carrera Lucas' play at goalkeeper has helped No.9 Virginia, which hosts No. 7 Louisville on Friday night, win seven of its past eight games.Media Day NotebookMen's Basketball10/18/16Virginia, which advanced to the NCAA tournament's Elite Eight in 2015-16, opens the season Nov. 11 against UNC Greensboro at the Greensboro Coliseum.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Mercer Falls In ITA Atlantic Regional Semifinals
W. Tennis | 10/18/2016
Junior Cassie Mercer saw her run at the ITA Atlantic Regional come to an end on Tuesday with a...
Mercer Advances To ITA Atlantic Regional Semifinal
W. Tennis | 10/17/2016
Junior Cassie Mercer rallied on Monday to pick up a three-set win and advance to the semifinals...
Mercer Advances To ITA Atlantic Quarterfinals
W. Tennis | 10/16/2016
Junior Cassie Mercer picked up a pair of wins on Sunday to advance to the quarterfinals of the...
Virginia Players Advance At ITA Atlantic Regional
W. Tennis | 10/15/2016
Five singles players advanced to the Round of 16 and one doubles team advanced to the...
Virginia Set To Compete At ITA Atlantic Regional
W. Tennis | 10/13/2016
Members of the Virginia women's tennis team begin competition at the ITA Atlantic Regional hosted...
Collins Wins Stillwater Pro Tennis Classic On Sunday
W. Tennis | 10/2/2016
Former Virginia women's tennis standout Danielle Collins won the championship at the Stillwater...
Collins Advances To Finals Of Stillwater Pro Tennis Classic
W. Tennis | 10/01/2016
Former Virginia women's tennis player Danielle Collins advanced to Sunday's final of the...
Cavaliers Close UVA Fall Invite On High Note Sunday
W. Tennis | 09/25/2016
The Virginia women's team went undefeated Sunday in singles and won three matches in doubles to...
- Online Stores