Sept. 22, 1997
Weekly Cavalier Volleyball Notes
Virginia Record: 10--5 (0-0 ACC)
Virginia record for week ending September 21st: 4-0
Results From Week Ending August 31 Date Opponent Location Result Game Scores Record (ACC) 9/16 William & Mary Williamsburg, V. W, 3-0 15-9, 15-8, 15-6 7-5 9/19 Villanova* Charlottesville, Va. W, 3-1 15-8, 15-10, 9-15, 8-15, 15-12 8-5 9/20 Northeastern* Charlottesville, Va. W, 3-1 16-14, 15-2, 12-15, 15-4 9-5 9/20 Iowa State* Charlottesville, Va. W, 3-1 15-11, 15-17, 15-4, 15-12 10-5 *-Played as part of 1997 Virginia Invitational, hosted by the University of Virginia
* Second-year Jessica Parsons (Green Oaks, Ill./Libertyville) was named the tournament MVP by the coaches. For the week (including the William & Mary match), Parsons averaged 10 kills and was in on an astounding 23 blocks (six solo). Joining Parsons on the all-tournament team were Mary Frances Scott (Phoenix, Ariz./Xavier College Prep) and Claire Folga (Atlanta, Ga./Marist Academy). Scott averaged 51.7 assists in the three weekend wins, while Folga had 29 kills in the wins over Villanova and Iowa State. Nagging injuries kept Folga out of the game against Northeastern.
* Depth is suddenly one of the greatest assets the UVa volleyball program has at its disposal. In last weeks four wins, seven separate players had at at least one match with 10 kills or more. The magnificent seven were: Folga (three times), Parsons (twice), Amy Mitchell (Amarillo, Texas/Tascosa) (twice), Shannon Wahlers (Phoenix, Ariz./Independence) (twice), Andrea Fischer (Santa Barbara, Calif./Santa Barbara) (twice), Katie Jones (Kingwood, Texas/Kingwood) (once), and Deanna Zwarich (Overland Park, Kan./Shawnee Mission North) (once).
* Whitney Bilger (La Jolla, Calif./The Bishop's School) returned to action against Northeastern after missing the first 13 matches due to illness. Bilger contributed to the victory with two kills, two digs, and a block assist.
* Virginia has now won five straight matches. The last time they accomplished this feat was at the beginning of the 1996 season when UVa rattled off a school record 10-match winning streak.
* UVa after 15 matches last year: 11-4
* The equation is quite simple for the Cavaliers: win the first game and UVa wins the match. Lose the first game and the opposition claims victory. Virginia is 10-0 when winning the match's first game and 0-5 when they lose it.
* Series Notes: UVa travels to Raleigh-Durham, N.C. this weekend for matches against North Carolina State and North Carolina...last November in the final match of the regular season, Virginia snapped a five-match losing streak against the Wolfpack...the Pack still own a four-match winning streak over UVa at Reynolds Coliseum...Virginia's last, and only win in Raleigh came on Halloween Night 1993, when UVa won, 3-0...N.C. State has won 10 of 11 in Raleigh...the Cavaliers will attempt to snap a two-game losing streak at Carmichael Auditorium on Sunday...over the years UVa has had more success in Chapel Hill than in Raleigh...Virginia has won three of the last five matches in Chapel Hill, but just three of 10 all-time...UNC won both matches last year, including a 3-2 win on September 24 (at Carmichael) that saw the Tar Heels recover from a two games to zero deficit to post a win.
1997 Virginia Invitational Information (hosted by the University of Virginia) Final Standings W L '97 Record All-Tournament Team Virginia 3 0 10-5 MVP-Jessica Parsons, UVa Villanova 2 1 8-5 Claire Folga, UVa Iowa State 1 2 9-4 Mary Frances Scott, UVa Northeastern 0 3 5-8 Megan O'Brien, Nova Colleen Henican, ISU Jessica Knott, Northeastern Results: 9/19-ISU d. NE, 3-0; UVa d. Nova, 3-2. 9/20-Nova d. ISU, 3-1; UVa d. NE, 3-1; Nova d. NE, 3-0 UVa d. ISU, 3-1.
The Week Ahead: UVa begins the ACC portion of its schedule. The Cavaliers will battle conference foes in 16 of their final 18 games.
Date Opponent Location Series Last Played Site UVa Result/Score 9/26 North Carolina State Raleigh, N.C. 7-18 Nov. 16, '97 Home W, 3-2 9/28 North Carolina Chapel Hill, N.C. 6-16 Nov. 15, '97 Home L, 1-3
Weber Hitting Right Notes on DiamondBaseball3/23/17Sophomore Andy Weber starts at second base for No. 16 Virginia, which hosts ACC rival Duke this weekend at Davenport Field.Successful Season Ends on Excruciating NoteMen's Basketball3/19/17Virginia's fourth consecutive appearance in the NCAA tournament ended with a 65-39 second-round loss to Florida in Orlando, Fla.'Hoos Hoping For Another Boost From ThompsonMen's Basketball3/18/17In his first start since Dec. 31, Darius Thompson played a team-high 34 minutes Thursday in Virginia's win over UNCW in the NCAA tournament's first round.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Smith Eager to Make Most of Opportunity
W. Volleyball | 3/9/2017
After five seasons as an assistant on Virginia's volleyball team, Aaron Smith, 32, took over as...
Virginia Volleyball Hosts Spring Match
W. Volleyball | 3/8/2017
The Virginia volleyball team released its 2017 spring schedule on Wednesday, which includes a...
Volleyball Adds Hannah Barcus for 2017 Class
W. Volleyball | 3/2/2017
Virginia volleyball head coach Aaron Smith announced that Hannah Barcus (Virginia Beach, Va.)...
Virginia Volleyball Retains Stephanie Ross
W. Volleyball | 2/28/2017
Head Virginia volleyball coach Aaron Smith announced on Tuesday (Feb. 28) that assistant coach...
Volleyball adds Megan Wilson
W. Volleyball | 2/10/2017
Virginia volleyball head coach Aaron Smith announced Megan Wilson will join the 2017 incoming...
Haley Kole Named to All-ACC Academic Team
W. Volleyball | 2/9/2017
Virginia volleyball senior Haley Kole (Tallahassee, Fla.) has been named to the 2017 All-ACC...
Virginia Names Aaron Smith Head Volleyball Coach
W. Volleyball | 02/08/2017
Virginia acting director of athletics Jon Oliver announced that Aaron Smith has been named the...
Dennis Hohenshelt Resigns as Virginia Head Volleyball Coach
W. Volleyball | 01/19/2017
University of Virginia acting director of athletics Jon Oliver announced today the resignation of...
- Online Stores