Sept. 22, 1997
Weekly Cavalier Volleyball Notes
Virginia Record: 10--5 (0-0 ACC)
Virginia record for week ending September 21st: 4-0
Results From Week Ending August 31 Date Opponent Location Result Game Scores Record (ACC) 9/16 William & Mary Williamsburg, V. W, 3-0 15-9, 15-8, 15-6 7-5 9/19 Villanova* Charlottesville, Va. W, 3-1 15-8, 15-10, 9-15, 8-15, 15-12 8-5 9/20 Northeastern* Charlottesville, Va. W, 3-1 16-14, 15-2, 12-15, 15-4 9-5 9/20 Iowa State* Charlottesville, Va. W, 3-1 15-11, 15-17, 15-4, 15-12 10-5 *-Played as part of 1997 Virginia Invitational, hosted by the University of Virginia
* Second-year Jessica Parsons (Green Oaks, Ill./Libertyville) was named the tournament MVP by the coaches. For the week (including the William & Mary match), Parsons averaged 10 kills and was in on an astounding 23 blocks (six solo). Joining Parsons on the all-tournament team were Mary Frances Scott (Phoenix, Ariz./Xavier College Prep) and Claire Folga (Atlanta, Ga./Marist Academy). Scott averaged 51.7 assists in the three weekend wins, while Folga had 29 kills in the wins over Villanova and Iowa State. Nagging injuries kept Folga out of the game against Northeastern.
* Depth is suddenly one of the greatest assets the UVa volleyball program has at its disposal. In last weeks four wins, seven separate players had at at least one match with 10 kills or more. The magnificent seven were: Folga (three times), Parsons (twice), Amy Mitchell (Amarillo, Texas/Tascosa) (twice), Shannon Wahlers (Phoenix, Ariz./Independence) (twice), Andrea Fischer (Santa Barbara, Calif./Santa Barbara) (twice), Katie Jones (Kingwood, Texas/Kingwood) (once), and Deanna Zwarich (Overland Park, Kan./Shawnee Mission North) (once).
* Whitney Bilger (La Jolla, Calif./The Bishop's School) returned to action against Northeastern after missing the first 13 matches due to illness. Bilger contributed to the victory with two kills, two digs, and a block assist.
* Virginia has now won five straight matches. The last time they accomplished this feat was at the beginning of the 1996 season when UVa rattled off a school record 10-match winning streak.
* UVa after 15 matches last year: 11-4
* The equation is quite simple for the Cavaliers: win the first game and UVa wins the match. Lose the first game and the opposition claims victory. Virginia is 10-0 when winning the match's first game and 0-5 when they lose it.
* Series Notes: UVa travels to Raleigh-Durham, N.C. this weekend for matches against North Carolina State and North Carolina...last November in the final match of the regular season, Virginia snapped a five-match losing streak against the Wolfpack...the Pack still own a four-match winning streak over UVa at Reynolds Coliseum...Virginia's last, and only win in Raleigh came on Halloween Night 1993, when UVa won, 3-0...N.C. State has won 10 of 11 in Raleigh...the Cavaliers will attempt to snap a two-game losing streak at Carmichael Auditorium on Sunday...over the years UVa has had more success in Chapel Hill than in Raleigh...Virginia has won three of the last five matches in Chapel Hill, but just three of 10 all-time...UNC won both matches last year, including a 3-2 win on September 24 (at Carmichael) that saw the Tar Heels recover from a two games to zero deficit to post a win.
1997 Virginia Invitational Information (hosted by the University of Virginia) Final Standings W L '97 Record All-Tournament Team Virginia 3 0 10-5 MVP-Jessica Parsons, UVa Villanova 2 1 8-5 Claire Folga, UVa Iowa State 1 2 9-4 Mary Frances Scott, UVa Northeastern 0 3 5-8 Megan O'Brien, Nova Colleen Henican, ISU Jessica Knott, Northeastern Results: 9/19-ISU d. NE, 3-0; UVa d. Nova, 3-2. 9/20-Nova d. ISU, 3-1; UVa d. NE, 3-1; Nova d. NE, 3-0 UVa d. ISU, 3-1.
The Week Ahead: UVa begins the ACC portion of its schedule. The Cavaliers will battle conference foes in 16 of their final 18 games.
Date Opponent Location Series Last Played Site UVa Result/Score 9/26 North Carolina State Raleigh, N.C. 7-18 Nov. 16, '97 Home W, 3-2 9/28 North Carolina Chapel Hill, N.C. 6-16 Nov. 15, '97 Home L, 1-3
Spanish Journey Strengthens Cavaliers' BondMen's Basketball8/20/16The Virginia men's basketball team made strides on and off the court during its 10-day tour of Spain this month.'Hoos Heading Home On High NoteMen's Basketball8/17/16On the final night of its 10-day tour of Spain, Virginia routed the Sant Julià All-Stars 85-49. Four players scored in double figures for the Cavaliers.Hall Eager To Take On Larger RoleMen's Basketball8/16/16Devon Hall, who earned his bachelor's degree this summer, has two seasons of eligibility remaining for the UVA men's basketball team.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Volleyball Hosts Orange and Blue Scrimmage
W. Volleyball | 8/19/2016
The Virginia volleyball team will host its annual Orange and Blue Scrimmage Saturday (Aug. 20) at...
Fall Sports Broadcast Schedule Announced
W. Volleyball | 8/18/2016
A total of 29 Virginia home events and 14 road contests will air on ACC Network Extra, a...
Haley Kole Named to Preseason All-ACC Team
W. Volleyball | 8/5/2016
Virginia volleyball senior Haley Kole (Tallahasse, Fla.) was selected to the 2016 Preseason All-A...
Virginia Volleyball Releases 2016 Schedule
W. Volleyball | 7/1/2016
Virginia volleyball head coach Dennis Hohenshelt announced the Cavaliers’ 2016 schedule on ...
Volleyball Adds Chino Anukwuem for 2016 Class
W. Volleyball | 4/18/2016
Virginia volleyball head coach Dennis Hohenshelt announced that Chino Anukwuem (East Hanover, N.J...
Virginia Volleyball Announces Spring Schedule
W. Volleyball | 2/18/2016
The Virginia volleyball team will compete in three tournaments for the 2016 spring season, head...
Haley Kole Named to ACC All-Academic Team
W. Volleyball | 02/08/2016
Virginia volleyball junior Haley Kole (Tallahassee, Fla.) was named to the ACC All-Academic...
Virginia Volleyball Earns VaSID Honors
W. Volleyball | 12/18/2015
Virginia volleyball freshman Anna Walsh (Grapevine, Texas) was named the Virginia State Rookie of...
- Online Stores