Sept. 30, 1997
Weekly Cavalier Volleyball Notes
Virginia Record: 11-6 (1-1 ACC) Virginia record for week ending September 28st: 1-1
Results From Last Week Date Opponent Location Result Game Scores Record (ACC) 9/26 North Carolina State Raleigh, N.C. W, 3-0 15-9, 15-11, 15-8 11-5 (1-0 ACC) 9/28 North Carolina Chapel Hill, N.C. L, 3-0 13-15, 4-15, 14-16 11-6 (1-1 ACC)
* Outside hitter Andrea Fischer (Santa Barbara, Calif/Santa Barbara) was named as the Atlantic Coast Conference's Rookie of the Week for the week ending September 21. Fischer helped UVa finish with a 4-0 record that week, including a 3-0 mark as the Cavaliers claimed their own Virginia Invitational with wins over Villanova, Northeastern, and Iowa State. Fischer had a .362 hitting percentage and registered 31 kills in 12 games played. The Santa Barbara, Calif. native also had six assists, six service aces, and was in on five blocks on the week as Virginia (10-5) extended its winning streak to five.
* Mary Frances Scott (Phoenix, Ariz./Xavier College Prep) moved past Dana Builtman into third place on UVa's all-time assists chart during Virginia's victory at North Carolina State. Scott had 28 assists in the win and enters the Maryland match with 2,311 assists in her brief career.
* After dropping three of five matches in Raleigh-Durham in 1996, Virginia started quickly with a 3-0 win over North Carolina State before dropping a tough three-game match to North Carolina. A balanced attack (no Cavalier reached the magical 10-kill plateau) and a quick defense (forced 28 NCSU errors) were keys in the win over the Wolfpack. Nagging injuries forced offensive threats Claire Folga (Atlanta, Ga./Marist Academy), Tamara Shulman (Dallas, Texas/Lake Highlands), and Danielle Yanik (South Haven, Mich./South Haven) to miss the North Carolina match. The Tar Heels had too much firepower, especially after Jessica Parsons (Green Oaks, Ill./Libertyville) left the third game after an ankle injury, and UNC retired the Cavaliers in three games. Virginia is now 1-1 in Raleigh-Durham with a meeting at Duke looming on October 24.
* As UVa passes the midway point of the season, it is interesting to note that only four players have appeared in every match. Those "Ripken-esk" players are Katie Jones (Kingwood, Texas/Kingwood), Parsons, Scott, and Amanda Wells (Los Angeles, Calif./Marlborough).
* Over the past four outings, Parson and Deanna Zwarich (Overland Park, Kan./Shawnee Mission North) had been in on 24 and 20 blocks, respectively. Parsons finished with four solo blocks and seven block assists against Iowa State, while Zwarich's best outing came also came against the Cyclones (eights total blocks-one BS, seven BA). Both players totals were their career highs.
* Series Notes: Maryland leads the all-time series 23-4 and is currently riding a nine-game winning streak over the Cavaliers. The last time Virginia defeated their neighbors from the north was November 22, 1991...in that match, UVa jumped out to a two games to none lead before having to sweat out the deciding fifth game to claim victory. ..only once since the ACC went to a home-and-home regular-season format have the Cavaliers swept a season series. That came in 1989 when Virginia won a pair of 3-1 matches (on October 3rd and October 28th)...last season the Terps held Scott to the lowest assist output of her career (23) as they handed Virginia a loss in their first conference match of the season ((September 20)...later that season (October 15) Maryland again handed UVa a 3-0 defeat...Maryland has not lost a game to the Cavaliers in the last three meetings...no Cavaliers reached the 10-kill plateau in either match in 1996...Maryland is the opponent that have tagged the most losses on the Cavaliers record (22) since the volleyball program at UVa was born in 1979.
The Week Ahead: UVa hosts No. 19 Maryland on Friday, October 3 at 7:00 pm. UVa went 1-0 against ranked opponents in 1996 (they defeated #22 ranked Georgia Tech, 3-1, on October 5).
Date Opponent Location Series Last Played Site UVa Result/Score 10/3 Maryland Charlottesville, Va. Md. leads 23-4 Oct 15, 1996 Home L, 3-0
Selflessness Marks Cavaliers' Latest WinMen's Basketball1/19/17In its latest road victory, a 71-54 conquest of Boston College, No. 16 Virginia recorded assists on 22 of its 27 field goals Wednesday night.'Hoos Find Winning Formula on RoadMen's Basketball1/14/17Led by senior London Perrantes and junior Marial Shayok, No. 19 Virginia defeated ACC rival Clemson 77-73 at Littlejohn Coliseum on Saturday.Salt Carving Out Niche at UVAMen's Basketball1/13/17Jack Salt, a redshirt sophomore from New Zealand, starts at center for No. 19 Virginia, which plays Saturday at ACC rival Clemson.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Dennis Hohenshelt Resigns as Virginia Head Volleyball Coach
W. Volleyball | 1/19/2017
University of Virginia acting director of athletics Jon Oliver announced today the resignation of...
Virginia Volleyball Earns VaSID honors
W. Volleyball | 12/19/2016
Virginia volleyball seniors Jasmine Burton (West Hills, Calif.) and Haley Kole (Tallahassee, Fla....
Jasmine Burton Receives AVCA All-Region Honors
W. Volleyball | 12/6/2016
Virginia volleyball senior Jasmine Burton earned AVCA All-East Coast Regional Honorable Mention...
Jasmine Burton Earns All-ACC Honors
W. Volleyball | 11/28/2016
Senior Jasmine Burton was named to the All-ACC Second Team the league announced on Monday (Nov. 28).
Virginia Falls 3-1 to Pitt in Season Finale
W. Volleyball | 11/26/2016
The Virginia volleyball team fell to Pitt, 3-1 (25-17, 18-25, 25-17, 25-11) to close the 2016...
Virginia Edged by Virginia Tech, 3-2
W. Volleyball | 11/25/2016
The Virginia volleyball team fell short on Senior Night against Virginia Tech, 3-2, Friday...
Virginia Hosts Virginia Tech, Pitt to Close Regular Season
W. Volleyball | 11/23/2016
The Virginia volleyball team will close its regular season at home this weekend as it hosts...
Volleyball Match with Pitt Moved to 5 p.m. Start
W. Volleyball | 11/22/2016
The start time for the Saturday, Nov. 26, game between the Virginia volleyball team and Pitt has ...
- Online Stores