Sept. 30, 1997
Weekly Cavalier Volleyball Notes
Virginia Record: 11-6 (1-1 ACC) Virginia record for week ending September 28st: 1-1
Results From Last Week Date Opponent Location Result Game Scores Record (ACC) 9/26 North Carolina State Raleigh, N.C. W, 3-0 15-9, 15-11, 15-8 11-5 (1-0 ACC) 9/28 North Carolina Chapel Hill, N.C. L, 3-0 13-15, 4-15, 14-16 11-6 (1-1 ACC)
* Outside hitter Andrea Fischer (Santa Barbara, Calif/Santa Barbara) was named as the Atlantic Coast Conference's Rookie of the Week for the week ending September 21. Fischer helped UVa finish with a 4-0 record that week, including a 3-0 mark as the Cavaliers claimed their own Virginia Invitational with wins over Villanova, Northeastern, and Iowa State. Fischer had a .362 hitting percentage and registered 31 kills in 12 games played. The Santa Barbara, Calif. native also had six assists, six service aces, and was in on five blocks on the week as Virginia (10-5) extended its winning streak to five.
* Mary Frances Scott (Phoenix, Ariz./Xavier College Prep) moved past Dana Builtman into third place on UVa's all-time assists chart during Virginia's victory at North Carolina State. Scott had 28 assists in the win and enters the Maryland match with 2,311 assists in her brief career.
* After dropping three of five matches in Raleigh-Durham in 1996, Virginia started quickly with a 3-0 win over North Carolina State before dropping a tough three-game match to North Carolina. A balanced attack (no Cavalier reached the magical 10-kill plateau) and a quick defense (forced 28 NCSU errors) were keys in the win over the Wolfpack. Nagging injuries forced offensive threats Claire Folga (Atlanta, Ga./Marist Academy), Tamara Shulman (Dallas, Texas/Lake Highlands), and Danielle Yanik (South Haven, Mich./South Haven) to miss the North Carolina match. The Tar Heels had too much firepower, especially after Jessica Parsons (Green Oaks, Ill./Libertyville) left the third game after an ankle injury, and UNC retired the Cavaliers in three games. Virginia is now 1-1 in Raleigh-Durham with a meeting at Duke looming on October 24.
* As UVa passes the midway point of the season, it is interesting to note that only four players have appeared in every match. Those "Ripken-esk" players are Katie Jones (Kingwood, Texas/Kingwood), Parsons, Scott, and Amanda Wells (Los Angeles, Calif./Marlborough).
* Over the past four outings, Parson and Deanna Zwarich (Overland Park, Kan./Shawnee Mission North) had been in on 24 and 20 blocks, respectively. Parsons finished with four solo blocks and seven block assists against Iowa State, while Zwarich's best outing came also came against the Cyclones (eights total blocks-one BS, seven BA). Both players totals were their career highs.
* Series Notes: Maryland leads the all-time series 23-4 and is currently riding a nine-game winning streak over the Cavaliers. The last time Virginia defeated their neighbors from the north was November 22, 1991...in that match, UVa jumped out to a two games to none lead before having to sweat out the deciding fifth game to claim victory. ..only once since the ACC went to a home-and-home regular-season format have the Cavaliers swept a season series. That came in 1989 when Virginia won a pair of 3-1 matches (on October 3rd and October 28th)...last season the Terps held Scott to the lowest assist output of her career (23) as they handed Virginia a loss in their first conference match of the season ((September 20)...later that season (October 15) Maryland again handed UVa a 3-0 defeat...Maryland has not lost a game to the Cavaliers in the last three meetings...no Cavaliers reached the 10-kill plateau in either match in 1996...Maryland is the opponent that have tagged the most losses on the Cavaliers record (22) since the volleyball program at UVa was born in 1979.
The Week Ahead: UVa hosts No. 19 Maryland on Friday, October 3 at 7:00 pm. UVa went 1-0 against ranked opponents in 1996 (they defeated #22 ranked Georgia Tech, 3-1, on October 5).
Date Opponent Location Series Last Played Site UVa Result/Score 10/3 Maryland Charlottesville, Va. Md. leads 23-4 Oct 15, 1996 Home L, 3-0
Sky's the Limit for UVA Pole VaulterTrack & Field, Cross Country7/20/17Jeff Jernigan, who over the course of his UVA career became one of the ACC's top pole vaulters, was commissioned in the U.S. Navy in May.Graduate Transfers Bolster Offensive LineFootball7/18/17Graduate transfers John Montelus and Brandon Pertile will compete for starting jobs on the offensive line when UVA opens training camp late this month.'Hoos Hope to Build Momentum EarlyFootball7/15/17Four of Virginia's first five football games this season will be at Scott Stadium.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Volleyball Releases 2017 Schedule
W. Volleyball | 6/8/2017
Virginia volleyball head coach Aaron Smith announced the 2017 schedule, which will feature 16...
Virginia Volleyball Adds Olivia Wolodkewitsch
W. Volleyball | 6/6/2017
Virginia volleyball head coach Aaron Smith announced the addition of Olivia Wolodkewitsch (Omaha,...
Aaron Smith Adds Hudson Bates to Volleyball Staff
W. Volleyball | 4/19/2017
Virginia head volleyball coach Aaron Smith completed his staff with the addition of Hudson Bates ...
Virginia Volleyball Adds Transfer Jelena Novakovic
W. Volleyball | 4/13/2017
Head Virginia volleyball coach Aaron Smith announced the addition of transfer Jelena Novakovic (B...
Jeff White: Smith Eager to Make Most of Opportunity
W. Volleyball | 3/9/2017
After five seasons as an assistant on Virginia's volleyball team, Aaron Smith, 32, took over as...
Virginia Volleyball Hosts Spring Match
W. Volleyball | 3/8/2017
The Virginia volleyball team released its 2017 spring schedule on Wednesday, which includes a...
Volleyball Adds Hannah Barcus for 2017 Class
W. Volleyball | 03/02/2017
Virginia volleyball head coach Aaron Smith announced that Hannah Barcus (Virginia Beach, Va.)...
Virginia Volleyball Retains Stephanie Ross
W. Volleyball | 02/28/2017
Head Virginia volleyball coach Aaron Smith announced on Tuesday (Feb. 28) that assistant coach...
- Online Stores