Oct. 13, 1997
Weekly Release * 1997 Season
Virginia Record: 13-9 (2-4 ACC) Virginia record for week ending October 12: 2-2 Results From Last Week Date Opponent Location Result Game Scores Record (ACC) 10/7 VCU Richmond, Va. W, 3-0 15-9,15-12,15-6 12-7 10/10 Florida State Charlottesville, Va. L, 3-1 8-15,15-6,6-15,9-15 12-8 (1-3 ACC) 10/11 Wake Forest Charlottesville, Va. W, 3-0 15-4,15-5,15-4 13-8 (2-3 ACC) 10/12 Duke Charlottesville, Va. L, 0-3 8-15,13-15,3-15 13-9 (2-4 ACC) (For more information please check out UVa's home on the web at: http://www.virginiasports.com)Cavalier Notes
*Fourth-year captain Amy Mitchell (Amarillo, Texas/Tascosa) finished the four-match week with 14 kills. That brings her four-year total to 966. She needs just 34 kills to reach the elusive plateau of 1,000 kills. Others members of the "1,000 kill" club at Virginia are:
Player (years) Kills Greta Jansson (88-91) 1,465 Anne Marie Hammers (88-91) 1,420 Courtney Stanton (92-95) 1,413 ... Amy Mitchell (94-97) 966
* Congratulations to Andrea Fischer (Santa Barbara, Calif./Santa Barbara) for earning her second ACC Rookie of the Week honor of 1997. Fischer hit .275 for the week with 29 kills, nine service aces, and 18 kills in 10 games.
* UVa did not have a player reach double figures in kills in either the Wake Forest or Duke match. The other time that happened this season was in a victory at North Carolina State on September 26. The last time no Cavaliers recorded at least 10 kills in consecutive matches was in losses to Texas Tech and Maryland in 1996.
* Tamara Shulman (Dallas, Texas/Lake Highlands) served notice to the ACC that she is back at full force with a nine-kill performance in the win over Wake Forest. Shulman committed just one hitting error in 17 attempts to finish the match with a .471 hitting percentage. Various knee ailments have allowed Shulman to appear in just six of 24 matches this season. Also returning from a two-match absence was Jessica Parsons (Green Oaks, Ill./Libertyville). Parsons picked up where she left off by recording 11 kills and seven total blocks against Florida State.
* Mary Frances Scott (Phoenix, Ariz./Xavier College Prep) had 24 assists against Duke, the second lowest output of her career. Scott had 23 assists in a loss at Maryland in 1996. Nevertheless, Scott continues her jaunt up the assist charts at Virginia. In just 58 career matches at Virginia, Scott has amassed 2,478 assists (12.1 assists per game).
* Head coach Melissa Aldrich Shelton is closing in an her first coaching milestone: her 50th career victory. Aldrich Shelton currently weighs in with 46 career victories and with four more wins can become the fourth UVa head coach to reach 50 career wins. But she has the opportunity to reach 50 wins faster than any other coach in Virginia history. To date, Karen Uhler leads this category. She won her 50th match in her 99th game as head coach. Aldrich Shelton currently has 46 wins in 90 matches.
* Series Notes: Clemson leads the all-time series 18-5 after claiming both matches played last season...1996 Virginia highlightes: Mitchell led UVa in the loss at Virginia with 17 kills, while Shulman totaled 16 kills in the loss at Clemson...Scott led the Cavalier offense with 59 and 53 assists in the two losses...the Tigers have won eight straight matches in the series dating back to October of 1992...much like the Virginia football program, UVa volleyball entered the 1997 season with only one all-time victory at Clemson (in 10 tries)...that win (also the last time the Cavaliers defeated Clemson) came on October 26, 1991...Greta Jansson and Dana Spencer led Virginia to victory with 16 and 15 kills, respectively...Georgia Tech leads the all-time series 10-9 after splitting with the Cavaliers in 1996...UVa's win last season was the biggest win for the program this decade...Virginia topped the 22nd-ranked Yellow Jackets, 3-1, at Memorial Gymnasium (Oct. 5)...Shulman led UVa's arsenal with 14 kills and Scott finished with 46 assists...The Yellow Jackets have won 10 of the last 11 matches in the series... Virginia won the first eight contests between the two schools...UVa won the first meeting in the series, 3-0 (November 5, 1983).The Week Ahead
The Cavaliers travel south for ACC matches against Clemson and Georgia Tech. Virginia went 1-3 against these two traditional ACC powers in 1996
Date Opponent (Time) Location Series Last Played Site UVa Result / Score 10/17 Clemson (7:00 pm) Clemson, S.C. CU leads, 18-5 11/2/96 away UVa lost, 1-3 10/18 Georgia Tech (7:00 pm) Atlanta, Ga. GT leads, 10-9 11/1/96 away UVa lost, 1-3
Moses Seizes Chance to Broaden HorizonsWomen's Basketball7/29/16Virginia's top returning post player, junior forward Lauren Moses, has had an eventful summer that included four weeks in Spain.Cavalier Football NotebookFootball7/27/16The start of training camp is approaching for UVA's football team, which opens the season Sept. 3 against Richmond at Scott Stadium.Culture Change Under Way for UVA FootballFootball7/21/16Head coach Bronco Mendenhall, center Jackson Matteo and linebacker Micah Kiser represented Virginia at the ACC Football Kickoff on Thursday.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Volleyball Releases 2016 Schedule
W. Volleyball | 7/1/2016
Virginia volleyball head coach Dennis Hohenshelt announced the Cavaliers’ 2016 schedule on ...
Volleyball Adds Chino Anukwuem for 2016 Class
W. Volleyball | 4/18/2016
Virginia volleyball head coach Dennis Hohenshelt announced that Chino Anukwuem (East Hanover, N.J...
Virginia Volleyball Announces Spring Schedule
W. Volleyball | 2/18/2016
The Virginia volleyball team will compete in three tournaments for the 2016 spring season, head...
Haley Kole Named to ACC All-Academic Team
W. Volleyball | 2/8/2016
Virginia volleyball junior Haley Kole (Tallahassee, Fla.) was named to the ACC All-Academic...
Virginia Volleyball Earns VaSID Honors
W. Volleyball | 12/18/2015
Virginia volleyball freshman Anna Walsh (Grapevine, Texas) was named the Virginia State Rookie of...
Fuller Earns AVCA Honorable Mention All-America Honors
W. Volleyball | 12/16/2015
Virginia volleyball senior Lauren Fuller (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) earned 2015 AVCA Honorable...
Fuller, Walsh Earn AVCA All-Region Honors
W. Volleyball | 12/08/2015
Senior Lauren Fuller (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) and freshman Anna Walsh (Grapevine, Texas) earned ...
Volleyball Edged by Virginia Tech, 3-2
W. Volleyball | 11/28/2015
The Virginia volleyball team came back to send the match to a tie-breaking fifth set, but fell...
- Online Stores