Oct. 13, 1997
Weekly Release * 1997 Season
Virginia Record: 13-9 (2-4 ACC) Virginia record for week ending October 12: 2-2 Results From Last Week Date Opponent Location Result Game Scores Record (ACC) 10/7 VCU Richmond, Va. W, 3-0 15-9,15-12,15-6 12-7 10/10 Florida State Charlottesville, Va. L, 3-1 8-15,15-6,6-15,9-15 12-8 (1-3 ACC) 10/11 Wake Forest Charlottesville, Va. W, 3-0 15-4,15-5,15-4 13-8 (2-3 ACC) 10/12 Duke Charlottesville, Va. L, 0-3 8-15,13-15,3-15 13-9 (2-4 ACC) (For more information please check out UVa's home on the web at: http://www.virginiasports.com)Cavalier Notes
*Fourth-year captain Amy Mitchell (Amarillo, Texas/Tascosa) finished the four-match week with 14 kills. That brings her four-year total to 966. She needs just 34 kills to reach the elusive plateau of 1,000 kills. Others members of the "1,000 kill" club at Virginia are:
Player (years) Kills Greta Jansson (88-91) 1,465 Anne Marie Hammers (88-91) 1,420 Courtney Stanton (92-95) 1,413 ... Amy Mitchell (94-97) 966
* Congratulations to Andrea Fischer (Santa Barbara, Calif./Santa Barbara) for earning her second ACC Rookie of the Week honor of 1997. Fischer hit .275 for the week with 29 kills, nine service aces, and 18 kills in 10 games.
* UVa did not have a player reach double figures in kills in either the Wake Forest or Duke match. The other time that happened this season was in a victory at North Carolina State on September 26. The last time no Cavaliers recorded at least 10 kills in consecutive matches was in losses to Texas Tech and Maryland in 1996.
* Tamara Shulman (Dallas, Texas/Lake Highlands) served notice to the ACC that she is back at full force with a nine-kill performance in the win over Wake Forest. Shulman committed just one hitting error in 17 attempts to finish the match with a .471 hitting percentage. Various knee ailments have allowed Shulman to appear in just six of 24 matches this season. Also returning from a two-match absence was Jessica Parsons (Green Oaks, Ill./Libertyville). Parsons picked up where she left off by recording 11 kills and seven total blocks against Florida State.
* Mary Frances Scott (Phoenix, Ariz./Xavier College Prep) had 24 assists against Duke, the second lowest output of her career. Scott had 23 assists in a loss at Maryland in 1996. Nevertheless, Scott continues her jaunt up the assist charts at Virginia. In just 58 career matches at Virginia, Scott has amassed 2,478 assists (12.1 assists per game).
* Head coach Melissa Aldrich Shelton is closing in an her first coaching milestone: her 50th career victory. Aldrich Shelton currently weighs in with 46 career victories and with four more wins can become the fourth UVa head coach to reach 50 career wins. But she has the opportunity to reach 50 wins faster than any other coach in Virginia history. To date, Karen Uhler leads this category. She won her 50th match in her 99th game as head coach. Aldrich Shelton currently has 46 wins in 90 matches.
* Series Notes: Clemson leads the all-time series 18-5 after claiming both matches played last season...1996 Virginia highlightes: Mitchell led UVa in the loss at Virginia with 17 kills, while Shulman totaled 16 kills in the loss at Clemson...Scott led the Cavalier offense with 59 and 53 assists in the two losses...the Tigers have won eight straight matches in the series dating back to October of 1992...much like the Virginia football program, UVa volleyball entered the 1997 season with only one all-time victory at Clemson (in 10 tries)...that win (also the last time the Cavaliers defeated Clemson) came on October 26, 1991...Greta Jansson and Dana Spencer led Virginia to victory with 16 and 15 kills, respectively...Georgia Tech leads the all-time series 10-9 after splitting with the Cavaliers in 1996...UVa's win last season was the biggest win for the program this decade...Virginia topped the 22nd-ranked Yellow Jackets, 3-1, at Memorial Gymnasium (Oct. 5)...Shulman led UVa's arsenal with 14 kills and Scott finished with 46 assists...The Yellow Jackets have won 10 of the last 11 matches in the series... Virginia won the first eight contests between the two schools...UVa won the first meeting in the series, 3-0 (November 5, 1983).The Week Ahead
The Cavaliers travel south for ACC matches against Clemson and Georgia Tech. Virginia went 1-3 against these two traditional ACC powers in 1996
Date Opponent (Time) Location Series Last Played Site UVa Result / Score 10/17 Clemson (7:00 pm) Clemson, S.C. CU leads, 18-5 11/2/96 away UVa lost, 1-3 10/18 Georgia Tech (7:00 pm) Atlanta, Ga. GT leads, 10-9 11/1/96 away UVa lost, 1-3
End Comes Too Soon for 'HoosWomen's Soccer11/28/15In women's soccer, Virginia finished with a 19-1-13 after falling in the NCAA quarterfinals to Rutgers in a penalty-kick shootout Friday at Klöckner Stadium.Stage Set for Season FinaleFootball11/27/15At noon Saturday, in the rivals' annual clash for the Commonwealth Cup, Virginia (4-7, 3-4) meets Virginia Tech (5-6, 3-4) at Scott Stadium.'Hoos Have Plenty in Reserve at JPJMen's Basketball11/26/15No. 12 Virginia received 30 points from its reserves in an 80-54 win over Lehigh on Wednesday night at John Paul Jones Arena.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia Volleyball Inks Five Signees
W. Volleyball | 11/16/2015
Virginia volleyball head coach Dennis Hohenshelt announced Monday (Nov. 16) that Kiley Banker (We...
Volleyball Sweeps Georgia Tech, 3-0
W. Volleyball | 11/14/2015
For the second-straight night, the Virginia volleyball team notched double-digit blocks as the...
Virginia Tops Clemson, 3-1, Friday Night
W. Volleyball | 11/13/2015
The Virginia volleyball team used a balanced attack with four players recording double-figure...
Volleyball Plays Host To Clemson, Georgia Tech
W. Volleyball | 11/12/2015
The Virginia volleyball team will begin a four-match home stand this weekend when it hosts...
Virginia Falls to No. 17 Florida State, 3-0
W. Volleyball | 11/8/2015
Senior Natalie Basuback (Carlsbad, Calif.) reached 1,000 career kills on Sunday afternoon as the ...
Virginia Suffers 3-0 Loss at Miami
W. Volleyball | 11/6/2015
The Virginia volleyball team fell to Miami, 3-0 (25-20, 25-11, 25-17) on Friday night at the...
Cavaliers on the Road at Miami, No. 17 Florida State
W. Volleyball | 11/05/2015
The Virginia volleyball team is back on the road as it travels to Miami on Friday (Nov. 6) at 7 p...
Volleyball Drops Three-Set Match to Duke
W. Volleyball | 10/31/2015
The Virginia volleyball team fell to Duke in straight-sets, 3-0 (25-18, 25-18, 25-14) on Saturday...
- Online Stores