Nov. 3, 1997
Volleyball Hits the Road
Virginia record: 14-10 (3-5 ACC)
Virginia record for week ending October 19: 1-1
Results From Last Week Date Opponent Location Result Game Scores Record (ACC) 10/17 Clemson Clemson, S.C. L, 0-3 12-15, 10-15, 6-15 13-10 (2-5 ACC) 10/18 Georgia Tech Atlanta, Ga. W, 3-2 15-7, 15-10, 2-15, 7-15, 15-11 14-10 (3-5 ACC)
* THAT WOULD BE GRAND-Fourth-year captain Amy Mitchell (Amarillo, Texas/Tascosa) finished the two-match week with 13 kills. That brings her four-year total to 979. She needs just 21 kills to reach the elusive plateau of 1,000 kills. Others members of the "1,000 kill" club at Virginia are:
Player (years) Kills Greta Jansson (88-91) 1,465 Anne Marie Hammers (88-91) 1,420 Courtney Stanton (92-95) 1,413 ... Amy Mitchell (94-97) 979
* BALANCED ATTACK-UVa did not have a player reach double figures in kills against Clemson, the third consecutive match that this has occurred. The only other time that happened this season was in a victory at North Carolina State on September 26. The last time no Cavaliers recorded at least 10 kills in two consecutive matches were in losses to Texas Tech and Maryland in 1996.
* SCARY MONTH-October was kind to the Cavaliers in 1996, as UVa finished our 10th month with an impressive 9-3 record. A new year has changed things a bit though as Virginia has already lost more matches than they did in October of '96. The Cavaliers are 3-4 so far this month with four matches remaining against Duke, Wake Forest, in-state rival Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech.
* EVEN STEPHEN-Virginia's five-game win at Georgia Tech evened the series between the two schools at 10-10.
* SWEET MELISSA-Head coach Melissa Aldrich Shelton is closing in on her first coaching milestone: her 50th career victory. Aldrich Shelton currently weighs in with 47 career victories and with three more wins can become the fourth UVa head coach to reach 50 career wins. But she also has the opportunity to reach 50 wins faster than any other coach in Virginia history. To date, Karen Uhler leads this category. She won her 50th match in her 99th game as head coach. Aldrich Shelton currently has 47 wins in 90 matches at UVa.
* UPCOMING SERIES NOTES-Duke leads the all-time series between the schools 22-3 after defeating the Cavaliers in three games at Memorial Gym on October 12...Shannon Wahlers (Phoenix, Ariz./Independence) finished with nine kills and Mary Frances Scott (Phoenix, Ariz./Xavier College Prep) paced the attack with 24 assists in the loss...the Blue Devils have won 15 of the last 16 in the series, with UVa's lone victory coming last season at Duke (October 13)...in that match, Whitney Casey led the Cavaliers with 24 kills, while Scott tied the school record (and established her career-high) with 80 assists...in Virginia's victory last season at Duke, Claire Folga (Atlanta, Ga./Marist Academy) matched her career-high with 21 kills and also registered a season-high five blocks...Virginia leads the all-time series with Wake Forest 7-4...Wake is the only other school within the ACC that UVa has a winning record against...the Cavaliers have won seven in a row after losing the first four matches in the series...Virginia has won four of the past five meetings by a 3-0 margin...Wake Forest resurrected its volleyball program last season after putting it to sleep following the 1986 season...since its re-incarnation last season, the Demon Deacons had lost every conference match until they broke through with a win over North Carolina State on October 3...only one match in the series with Wake Forest has gone five games (October 6, 1983; UVa wins, 3-2)...Virginia is 1-1 in matches played within the Tar Heel State (North Carolina) this year after a win over North Carolina State and a loss at the hands of North Carolina.
The Week Ahead
The Cavaliers will take refuge from the effects of El Nino and head south yet again. The Cavaliers will take on Duke (Friday, October 24-7:30 pm) and Wake Forest (Saturday, October 25-7:00 pm) before returning home to host three matches the following weekend.
Date Opponent (Time) Location Series Last Played Site Result/Score 10/24 Duke (7:30 pm) Durham, N.C. Duke leads 22-3 10/12/97 home L, 0-3 10/25 Wake Forest (7:00 pm) Winston-Salem, N.C. UVa leads 7-4 10/11/97 home W, 3-0
Cavalier Football Notebook -- Miami WeekFootball11/16/17Two regular-season games remain for Virginia (6-4 overall, 3-3 ACC), which plays No. 2 Miami (9-0, 6-0) at noon Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium.Torres Makes Most of Learning OpportunityWomen's Soccer11/15/17Freshman Taryn Torres has scored a team-high eight goals for Virginia, which meets Pepperdine in the NCAA tourney's second round Friday night in Los Angeles.Billiard's Return Energizes CavaliersWomen's Volleyball11/14/17Virginia has won three of its past six matches with freshman Sarah Billiard in the lineup. Billiard missed 10 matches while recovering from a knee injury.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Virginia’s Comeback Falls Short Against Miami
W. Volleyball | 11/17/2017
The Virginia volleyball team came back to win the third and fourth sets but Miami held on to take...
Virginia Entertains Miami, Florida State
W. Volleyball | 11/16/2017
The Virginia volleyball team (7-20, 3-13 ACC) hosts two of its final three home matches this...
Jeff White: Billiard's Return Energizes Cavaliers
W. Volleyball | 11/14/2017
Virginia has won three of its past six matches with freshman Sarah Billiard back in the lineup....
Virginia Falls 3-0 at Notre Dame
W. Volleyball | 11/12/2017
The Virginia volleyball team fell 3-0 (25-18, 25-22, 25-17) at Notre Dame on Sunday afternoon in ...
Virginia Falls 3-0 at Louisville
W. Volleyball | 11/10/2017
The Virginia volleyball team fell 3-0 at Louisville on Friday night. Freshman Alex Spencer led...
Virginia Volleyball Signs Two to NLIs
W. Volleyball | 11/9/2017
Virginia volleyball head coach Aaron Smith announced the signing of Milla Ciprian and Grace...
Virginia Travels to Louisville, Notre Dame
W. Volleyball | 11/09/2017
The Virginia volleyball team will play at Louisville on Friday at 7 p.m. and Notre Dame on Sunday...
Virginia Tops Georgia Tech 3-1
W. Volleyball | 11/04/2017
The Virginia volleyball team picked up its second win of the weekend with a 3-1 victory over...
- Online Stores